Prep Time: 20mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Additional Time: 1hr 30 mins
For the Cake:
▫️ 4 large eggs
▫️ 200g sugar
▫️ 4g baking powder
▫️ 1g salt
▫️ 2g baking soda
▫️ 85g melted butter
▫️ 5g vanilla extract
▫️ 130g flour
▫️ Icing sugar
For the Filling:
▫️ 120g pawpaw jam
▫️ 120g water
▫️ 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Line the bottom of a 12″ square pan with parchment paper. The parchment should come up to opposite sides of the pan. Grease with oil.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix eggs and sugar on medium high till pale, doubled in volume, thick and fluffy.
3. Reduce speed to medium, add the vanilla and melted butter all at once in a steady stream.
4. Reduce speed to medium-low, and add the sifted flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
5. When the flour is nearly incorporated, switch off the mixer. Whisk batter by hand to finish incorporating the flour.
6. Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
7. Bake in a 180 degree oven until firm to the touch but soft enough to retain a shallow impression when gently poked, about 10-12 minutes.
5. Loosen cake from edges with a knife. Holding onto the sides of the parchment, lift the cake out of the pan.
6. Sift icing sugar over the top of the cake. This will prevent the cake from sticking to the parchment when rolled.
7. Roll the cake and parchment paper into a log. Wrap log in a tea towel and set aside to cool. This will trap the moisture in the cake.
8. In a sauce pot, mix the jam and water and bring to a boil
9. Dissolve the cornstarch in a little water to form a slurry. Add to the boiling jam mixture
10. Cook until jam has thickened and is clear. This will take a minute.
11. Unroll the cake when it is lukewarm. Spread the jam evenly over the top.
12. Roll the cake in the same direction as before. This time peel off the parchment as you go
13. Slice off the edges to neaten and using a large spatula or bread knife, transfer to a plate.
14. Once cooled, sift icing sugar over top.